Experience the bright and zesty delight of a Lemon Pound Cake, a classic dessert that harmoniously blends the richness of a traditional pound cake with the vibrant essence of fresh lemons. This delightful treat is a perfect balance of sweet and citrusy flavors, creating a dessert that is both refreshing and indulgent.
To begin, gather fresh lemons, as their zest and juice will be the star ingredients infusing the cake with citrusy goodness. The pound cake batter, a velvety combination of flour, butter, sugar, and eggs, transforms into the perfect canvas for the lemon infusion. Incorporate the lemon zest and juice, allowing the bright flavors to permeate the batter and create a fragrant masterpiece.
As the Lemon Pound Cake bakes, the enticing aroma of citrus fills the kitchen, building anticipation for the zesty delight that’s about to emerge from the oven. The cake develops a golden-brown crust, while maintaining a moist and tender crumb, creating a delightful contrast of textures.
Once cooled, consider adding a simple glaze made from powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice to enhance the citrusy profile and add a glossy finish to the cake. This finishing touch not only intensifies the lemon flavor but also contributes to the visual appeal of the dessert.
- 1 and 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- Coat a 10-cup tube pan or bundt pan with solid vegetable shortening and sugar or use Wilton cake release.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy. The mixture will lighten in color slightly.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Slowly add flour to the mixture and combine.
- Add lemon extract and combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with ‘dry’ crumbs.
- Allow to cool on the countertop on a wire rack for 15 minutes before inverting on a serving tray. Cool completely on the counter before covering in an airtight container.
- Store in an airtight container on the countertop for 3 to 4 days.
Serve slices of this Lemon Pound Cake as a refreshing dessert for afternoon tea, as a delightful addition to brunch, or as a sweet conclusion to any meal. Whether enjoyed on its own or accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, this Lemon Pound Cake promises a burst of citrusy sunshine in every bite, making it a timeless favorite for lemon enthusiasts and dessert connoisseurs alike.