Savor the delicious fusion of flavors with Potato and Beef Picadillo, a hearty dish that combines the earthy richness of potatoes with the savory goodness of seasoned ground beef. This comforting and well-balanced meal is a celebration of textures and tastes.
Begin by browning ground beef in a skillet, infusing it with aromatic spices such as cumin, paprika, and oregano. The spices create a robust foundation, elevating the overall flavor profile of the dish. Once the beef is browned and seasoned to perfection, set it aside. In the same skillet, sauté diced onions and garlic until they become fragrant and golden, adding a savory depth to the dish. Introduce diced potatoes to the mix, allowing them to absorb the flavors and become tender as they cook.
Reintroduce the seasoned ground beef to the skillet, ensuring that the ingredients meld seamlessly. The marriage of savory beef and hearty potatoes creates a satisfying and well-rounded base for the Picadillo. To add a touch of sweetness, incorporate raisins and a handful of green olives. These elements provide a delightful contrast to the savory notes, creating a dynamic medley of flavors in each bite.
As a finishing touch, drizzle tomato sauce over the Potato and Beef Picadillo, allowing it to simmer and meld the ingredients together. The tomato sauce infuses a rich umami flavor and imparts a beautiful color to the dish. Serve the Potato and Beef Picadillo over a bed of rice or with warm tortillas for a complete and satisfying meal. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley to add a burst of freshness and visual appeal.
- 1 medium Russet potato or 2 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 serrano chiles, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt and Mexican oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat 1/8 to 1/4 cup of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook until browned and crispy in most spots. Cover while cooking. Transfer potatoes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the ground beef and heat over medium/high. Season beef with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until nicely browned.
- Add minced garlic and diced onion, continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, serrano chiles, 1/4 cup water, pinch of salt, and Mexican oregano. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture into the picadillo. Let it come to a boil and taste for salt.
- Fold in the cooked potatoes and stir until well combined. Taste for seasonings and continue cooking at a low simmer until the sauce thickens and reduces, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Whether enjoyed as a comforting weeknight dinner or showcased at a festive gathering, Potato and Beef Picadillo promises to be a crowd-pleaser. The delightful combination of seasoned beef, tender potatoes, and savory-sweet accents creates a harmonious dish that captures the essence of hearty and flavorful comfort food.