Black Pepper Chicken, a dish that beckons with the tantalizing aroma of freshly cracked peppercorns and sizzling spices, is a beloved staple in Asian cuisine. This dish perfectly balances the fiery heat of black pepper with the savory notes of tender chicken and an array of complementary ingredients. It’s a true culinary masterpiece that delivers a symphony of flavors on your taste buds.
Black Pepper Chicken is a testament to the art of stir-frying, a cooking technique that has been perfected over centuries. With its roots in Asian and Southeast Asian culinary traditions, this dish showcases the region’s expertise in harmonizing ingredients, flavors, and textures. At the heart of this dish is the generous use of freshly ground black pepper, which provides a bold, earthy warmth that is both aromatic and piquant. When combined with succulent chicken pieces and an array of colorful vegetables, it creates a sensory experience that is both visually appealing and undeniably delicious.
What makes Black Pepper Chicken so intriguing is its ability to capture the essence of comfort food while maintaining an air of sophistication. The depth of flavor and the complexity of the dish make it suitable for a cozy family dinner, a casual gathering with friends, or even a special occasion that demands a touch of elegance. In this culinary journey, we will delve into the art of making Black Pepper Chicken, exploring the precise balance of ingredients and the techniques that elevate it to a delectable masterpiece. You’ll discover how to infuse every bite with the perfect amount of heat, the ideal tenderness of chicken, and the irresistible aroma of black pepper.
Whether you’re a novice cook or a seasoned chef, mastering Black Pepper Chicken will add an enticing and versatile recipe to your repertoire. It’s a dish that transcends borders and brings the world’s spices to your kitchen, allowing you to savor the flavors of Asia without leaving your home. So, get ready to embark on a journey that marries tradition and innovation, and prepare to indulge in the savory, aromatic allure of Black Pepper Chicken.
*Black Pepper Sauce:*
– 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
– 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
– 1/4 cup Shaoxing Wine or sherry
– 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar (or 2 tablespoons Mirin)
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
*Black Pepper Chicken Stir Fry:*
– 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into thin bite-sized pieces
– 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
– 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
– Vegetable oil
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 1 red pepper or green pepper, finely diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon grated ginger or ginger paste
– 2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce, Shaoxing Wine, brown sugar, cornstarch, and freshly ground black pepper. Set the bowl aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, and cornstarch. Let the chicken rest and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
3. Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Using tongs, remove the chicken from the marinade and add it to the skillet in a single layer, cooking until golden brown and cooked through. Flip once to brown the other side. Work in batches, removing the cooked chicken to a plate as it is done.
4. Add a bit more vegetable oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and red or green bell pepper, cooking for several minutes until they become crisp-tender. Reduce the heat to low and add the minced garlic and grated ginger, cooking for 1 minute while stirring continuously. Remove the cooked vegetables to a plate.
5. Reduce the heat to medium. Whisk the sauce ingredients in the bowl that you set aside. Pour the sauce into the skillet and cook until slightly thickened, stirring several times. Add the chicken and the veggies back to the skillet for a couple of minutes to warm the dish.
6. Garnish with sliced green onions and serve your flavorful Black Pepper Chicken.