Creamy Lemon Squares are a zesty and delectable dessert that balances the bright and tangy flavors of lemon with the luxuriously smooth texture of a creamy filling. This mouthwatering creation is a celebration of the refreshing taste of citrus, providing a delightful contrast to the buttery crust. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to create these lemony treats, offering insights into the key ingredients and techniques that will make your Creamy Lemon Squares an unforgettable culinary masterpiece.
A Burst of Citrus The star ingredient of this dessert, lemon, brings a burst of sunshine to each bite. Its tartness is mellowed by the creamy filling, creating a delightful balance that awakens the taste buds. The combination of fresh lemon juice and zest infuses the dessert with a bright and refreshing flavor profile.
Creamy Indulgence The creaminess of Creamy Lemon Squares is what sets them apart. The filling, a luscious blend of cream cheese, eggs, and sugar, provides a velvety texture that contrasts beautifully with the flaky and buttery shortbread crust. This juxtaposition of textures enhances the overall dessert experience.
A Touch of Sweetness While the lemon is the star of the show, a touch of sweetness is essential. The addition of sugar and a hint of vanilla extract in the creamy filling provides the perfect level of sweetness to counterbalance the lemon’s tang. The result is a dessert that’s neither too sweet nor too tart but strikes an ideal balance. In this article, we will guide you through each step of the recipe, from preparing the buttery crust to achieving the ideal creamy lemon filling and mastering the perfect baking time. Whether you’re baking for a special occasion, a tea-time treat, or simply indulging your citrus cravings, Creamy Lemon Squares promise to be a delightful and refreshing dessert that is sure to brighten your day. Get ready to embark on a journey of tangy and luscious goodness with every bite.
For the Lemon Filling:
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
For the Crust:
- 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan with butter or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, and sugar for the crust. Mix well until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crust mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan to create an even layer. Bake for around 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let it cool for 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk until well combined.
- Gradually add the fresh lemon juice to the egg yolk mixture, stirring until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Pour the lemon filling over the cooled crust in the baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for another 15 minutes until the filling is set. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 1 hour until it sets.
Once chilled, carefully remove the lemon squares from the pan using the parchment paper, if used, and cut them into squares.
Enjoy the creamy and tangy goodness of your homemade Creamy Lemon Squares! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
These Creamy Lemon Squares are a delicious treat that is sure to brighten up any gathering. The tangy and luscious lemon filling, combined with the buttery crust, creates a delightful balance of flavors. Whether served as a standalone dessert or accompanied by whipped cream and fresh berries, these lemon squares are bound to become a favorite among your family and friends.