Ermine Frosting, also known as boiled milk frosting or heritage frosting, is a classic and velvety frosting with a rich history in American baking. Known for its smooth, silky texture and delicate flavor, this frosting offers a delicious and less-sweet alternative to traditional buttercream. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to create Ermine Frosting, providing insights into the key ingredients and techniques that will make your cakes and treats extra special.
A Taste of Tradition Ermine Frosting has been a beloved part of American baking traditions for generations. It is appreciated for its subtlety, which allows the flavor of the cake it adorns to shine. The frosting’s origin traces back to a time when bakers created culinary wonders with limited resources, and Ermine Frosting emerged as an elegant solution with a unique taste and texture.
Velvet Smoothness Ermine Frosting is characterized by its velvety, silky texture. It achieves this by cooking flour and milk into a smooth, thick paste, which is then cooled and combined with butter and sugar. The result is a frosting that is not overly sweet but boasts a delightful creaminess that beautifully complements cakes, cupcakes, or any dessert in need of a gentle touch.
Versatile Elegance One of the attractions of Ermine Frosting is its versatility. It can be flavored and colored to match your baking needs, from classic vanilla to decadent chocolate or even citrus or fruit extracts. The frosting is also an excellent base for intricate cake decorations and piping, as it holds its shape well.
- 5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the all-purpose flour and milk until you have a smooth mixture.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the cooled flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until they are well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue to beat until the frosting is thoroughly mixed.
- Spread this delicious frosting over your favorite cake or cupcakes and savor the delightful taste!
This classic Flour Frosting is a timeless favorite for cakes and cupcakes. Its smooth, creamy texture and delightful sweetness make it a perfect choice to enhance your baked treats. Whether you’re frosting a birthday cake or adding a finishing touch to your cupcakes, this frosting is sure to please your taste buds. Enjoy!