Embark on a delightful journey into the heart of Dutch-inspired sweetness with the scrumptious “Dutch Apple Pie Bars.” This delectable treat takes the classic allure of Dutch apple pie and transforms it into convenient, handheld bars, making it the perfect dessert for any occasion.
The essence of these bars lies in the marriage of buttery, flaky crust and a luscious apple filling, spiced to perfection. Imagine biting into layers of golden-brown goodness, where the sweetness of baked apples harmonizes with the warmth of cinnamon and nutmeg. The Dutch influence shines through, offering a comforting, homely indulgence reminiscent of the traditional apple pies that grace kitchens during festive seasons.
The journey to creating these bars begins with the careful layering of the crust, providing a buttery foundation that perfectly complements the sweet and spiced apple filling. As they bake, your kitchen is enveloped in the irresistible aroma of apples mingling with spices, creating an anticipation that heightens with each passing minute.
So, prepare to embark on a culinary adventure that marries tradition with innovation, and indulge in the irresistible charm of Dutch Apple Pie Bars. These bars aren’t just a dessert; they’re a celebration of flavor, a nod to heritage, and a testament to the joy that a simple, well-crafted treat can bring to any moment.
**For the Crust:**
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– ⅔ cup sugar, divided
– ½ cup (8 tablespoons) butter
**For the Apple Filling:**
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 3 tart apples (like Granny Smith), peeled and thinly sliced
**For the Crumb Topping:**
– ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
– ⅓ cup sugar
– ¼ cup butter, room temperature
1. Butter a 9×9 square baking dish and preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of flour and 1/3 cup of sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly, using either 2 knives or a pastry blender. Press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
3. In another bowl, mix the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the thinly sliced apples, ensuring they are evenly coated. Spoon this apple mixture over the baked crust.
4. For the crumb topping, combine ⅔ cup of flour, ⅓ cup of sugar, and ¼ cup of room temperature butter. Mix until crumbly and sprinkle this over the apples.
5. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned, and the apples have softened. Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting them into delightful squares.
6. Enjoy these Dutch Apple Pie Bars as a delightful handheld treat that encapsulates the comforting essence of a classic Dutch apple pie in each delicious bite!