Ham and cheese party sandwiches are a delightful and crowd-pleasing finger food that has become a quintessential choice for gatherings and celebrations. These delectable treats are composed of layers of thinly sliced ham and luscious cheese, sandwiched between soft rolls or slices of bread. They are typically baked or pressed, resulting in a warm, gooey, and savory creation that leaves everyone craving more.
What makes these sandwiches truly special is their ability to effortlessly elevate any social occasion. Whether it’s a casual picnic, a game-day get-together, or an elegant cocktail party, ham and cheese party sandwiches are a versatile and reliable option that caters to a wide range of tastes. Their flavor profile is a harmonious blend of smoky, salty ham and the creamy, melty goodness of cheese, often with a touch of added ingredients like mustard, mayonnaise, or herbs, to enhance the overall experience.
In this exploration of ham and cheese party sandwiches, we’ll delve into their origins, the creative variations that exist, and the art of preparing them to perfection. Whether you’re a seasoned entertainer looking to refresh your party menu or a novice host seeking a surefire crowd-pleaser, these sandwiches offer a delightful solution. Join us in discovering the timeless appeal of ham and cheese party sandwiches, where each bite is a burst of savory satisfaction, and where they effortlessly transform any gathering into a delicious celebration.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2½ tablespoons prepared yellow mustard NOT Dijon
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 12 package King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 9 ounces package thinly sliced brown sugar ham about 12-15 slices
- 7 ounces package sliced Swiss cheese about 10 slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mash together the butter, mustard, poppy seeds, onion and Worcestershire sauce until it is well combined and thick.
- Remove the rolls from the carton in one piece. Using a long knife and keeping the rolls together, slice them in half horizontally.
- On the cut portion of the rolls, spread half of the butter mixture on each.
- Place the ham slices evenly over the bottom portion of the rolls.
- Cover the ham with the slices of Swiss cheese, distributed evenly.
- Place the top portion of the rolls onto the base and return the contents to the carton. They can be baked either in the carton or on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes and then to prevent the tops of the rolls from darkening, cover with tin foil for the remaining 8 minutes.