If you’re searching for a show-stopping cake that is as delicious as it is beautiful, look no further than Hummingbird Cake. This Southern classic is a moist and flavorful cake loaded with tropical goodness, including ripe bananas, pineapple, and pecans. Topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting, Hummingbird Cake is the perfect dessert for any special occasion or celebration. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps of making this delectable cake that will wow your family and friends.
To make the cake, you’ll need:
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon cinnamon
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 3 large eggs
– 1 cup vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 8 oz crushed pineapple, undrained
– 2 cups bananas mashed (2-3 bananas)
– 1 cup finely chopped pecans
For the frosting, you’ll need:
– 32 oz cream cheese (room temp)
– 4-6 cups confectioners’ sugar
– 2 sticks unsalted butter room temp
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Follow these steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Cream together the eggs, oil, pineapple, mashed bananas, vanilla, and chopped pecans in another bowl. Add the creamed mixture into the dry mixture just until combined.
4. Evenly divide the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let the cakes cool, then cut each cake in half to make 4 layers.
6. Mix the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl or mixer. Gradually add in the confectioner’s sugar. Mix until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
7. Transfer the first tier onto a cake platter and apply a layer of frosting. Repeat this process until all four layers are stacked. Use the remaining frosting to cover the top and sides of your cake.
8. Decorate with whole pecans.
Tips and Variations
- If you prefer a smaller cake, you can halve the recipe and bake it in two 8-inch cake pans. Adjust the baking time accordingly, as the smaller cakes may require less time in the oven.
- Feel free to experiment with the frosting by adding a hint of lemon zest or a splash of pineapple juice for an extra burst of flavor.
- For a more festive presentation, you can garnish the top of the cake with slices of fresh banana and pineapple rings.
- To make the cake more visually appealing, consider using a piping bag and decorative tip to pipe rosettes or other designs on top of the frosted cake.
- Leftover cake can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3-4 days. Allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving for optimal flavor and texture.
Hummingbird Cake is a truly special dessert that combines the flavors of ripe bananas, pineapple, and pecans into a moist and indulgent cake. Topped with a creamy and tangy cream cheese frosting, this cake is a true delight for the senses. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, hosting a gathering, or simply craving a slice of something extraordinary, Hummingbird Cake is sure to impress. So gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to create a cake that will leave everyone humming with delight.
Q1: Can I use walnuts instead of pecans?
- Yes, you can substitute walnuts for pecans in this recipe. Walnuts will provide a similar nutty flavor and crunchy texture to the cake.
Q2: Can I make the cake ahead of time and freeze it?
- Yes, you can freeze the cake layers before frosting. Wrap each cooled cake layer tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Thaw the cake layers at room temperature before frosting and assembling the cake.
Q3: Can I use a different type of frosting?
- While cream cheese frosting is the traditional choice for Hummingbird Cake, you can experiment with other frostings if desired. Vanilla buttercream or a whipped cream frosting would be delightful alternatives.
Q4: Can I use fresh pineapple instead of canned crushed pineapple?
- Fresh pineapple can be used in place of canned crushed pineapple. Simply chop fresh pineapple into small pieces and use the same amount as specified in the recipe.