Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies
If you’re a fan of soft and chewy cookies with a burst of fruity flavor, look no further than Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies. These delightful treats combine the richness of cream cheese with the sweetness of strawberries to create a cookie that is both indulgent and refreshing. With their vibrant pink color and irresistible taste, Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies are perfect for any occasion, from afternoon tea to dessert time. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps of making these scrumptious cookies from scratch.
Here’s what you’ll need:
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon of strawberry extract
• 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped and dried with a paper towel
• ¾ cup cream cheese, room temperature
• ¼ cup powdered sugar
To make the cream cheese filling, whisk together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Using a small cookie scoop, make 12 even balls of cream cheese filling and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
For the cookies, preheat your oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and strawberry extract, and mix until combined. Gradually mix in the flour and baking soda until there are no dry spots left. Gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
Using the same cookie scoop, scoop out 24 balls of cookie dough and place them on the lined baking sheets. Create an indention in the center of half of the balls and place a frozen cream cheese ball into each indention. Top with the remaining dough balls and carefully form the dough around the cream cheese filling. Roll the dough in your hands to create smooth balls.
Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips and Variations
- If you can’t find freeze-dried strawberries, you can use strawberry-flavored gelatin mix as a substitute. Simply replace the crushed freeze-dried strawberries with an equal amount of strawberry gelatin powder.
- For an extra touch of sweetness, you can drizzle a simple powdered sugar glaze over the cooled cookies. Mix powdered sugar with a little milk or lemon juice to create a glaze and drizzle it over the cookies using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Feel free to customize the cookies by adding other mix-ins or flavorings. Mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or even a dash of lemon zest can complement the strawberry cream cheese base.
- If you prefer a softer texture, you can slightly underbake the cookies by reducing the baking time by a minute or two. This will result in a chewier and more tender cookie.
- These cookies can be frozen for longer storage. Place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw the cookies at room temperature before enjoying them.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies are a delightful and fruity treat that will satisfy your sweet tooth. With their soft and chewy texture, vibrant color, and irresistible flavor, these cookies are sure to become a favorite among cookie lovers. Whether you’re baking for a special occasion or simply treating yourself to a delicious snack, Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies are a perfect choice. So gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to indulge in these delightful strawberry-infused cookies.
Q1: Can I use fresh strawberries instead of freeze-dried strawberries?
- While the recipe specifically calls for freeze-dried strawberries, you can experiment with using fresh strawberries. However, keep in mind that fresh strawberries contain more moisture, which may affect the texture of the cookies. Dice the fresh strawberries into small pieces and pat them dry before adding them to the dough.
Q2: Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
- Yes, you can use salted butter in this recipe. However, remember to reduce the amount of salt called for in the recipe to maintain the desired balance of flavors.
Q3: Can I make the dough in advance and bake it later?
- Yes, you can prepare the dough in advance and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. Simply wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. When ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator, let it soften slightly at room temperature, and proceed with rolling and baking the cookies.
Q4: Can I substitute cream cheese with another ingredient?
- Cream cheese plays a key role in the texture and flavor of these cookies. It is not recommended to substitute it with other ingredients. However, if you have dietary restrictions or preferences, you can explore alternative recipes specifically designed without cream cheese.
Q5: Can I use this recipe to make other fruit-flavored cookies?
- Absolutely! This recipe can serve as a base for other fruit-flavored cookies. Feel free to experiment with different freeze-dried fruits or fruit-flavored gelatin mixes to create unique and delicious variations.