The Sloppy Joe sandwich is a beloved American classic that boasts a deliciously messy combination of seasoned ground beef in a savory tomato sauce, served inside a soft hamburger bun. This iconic comfort food is a favorite for its satisfying and hearty flavors, and it’s an easy dish to prepare.
To make a Sloppy Joe sandwich, you’ll need a handful of key ingredients. Ground beef serves as the primary protein, while onions and green bell peppers provide a flavorful base. The star of the show, however, is the homemade sauce, crafted from a blend of ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and various seasonings that infuse the meat with a sweet and tangy profile.
The process begins by browning the ground beef in a skillet, breaking it into crumbles as it cooks. The addition of onions and green bell peppers introduces a savory depth and a touch of crunch to the mixture. The homemade sauce is then prepared, combining ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings in a separate pot. This sauce is the key to the signature sweet and tangy flavors of the Sloppy Joe.
Once the sauce is ready, it’s added to the cooked ground beef and vegetable mixture. Everything simmers together, allowing the flavors to meld, creating a rich and saucy meat filling. To serve, scoop a generous portion of the Sloppy Joe mixture onto a soft hamburger bun, creating a deliciously messy and satisfying sandwich. It’s a mouthwatering experience, balancing the sweetness of the sauce with the savory goodness of the beef and the bun’s softness.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and brown it, breaking it apart into crumbles as it cooks, which should take about 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the minced onion and green bell pepper to the same skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they become soft. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until it becomes fragrant. Return the browned beef to the skillet and add the tomato paste. Stir everything well.
- Now, add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, yellow mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper. Stir thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until it thickens to your liking. Remove it from the heat and serve it over toasted buns.
Enjoy your delicious Sloppy Joe Sandwich!