Savor the culinary delights of Sweden with the irresistibly flavorful Swedish Meatballs bathed in a velvety Creamy Sauce. This classic dish is a symphony of perfectly seasoned meatballs complemented by a rich and savory sauce, creating a comforting and indulgent meal.
Start by crafting the meatballs using a blend of ground meats, often a mix of beef and pork, combined with breadcrumbs, eggs, and a medley of spices such as allspice and nutmeg. Shape these seasoned morsels into bite-sized orbs, ensuring a perfect balance of flavors in each savory bite. In a hot skillet, brown the meatballs to perfection, creating a golden crust that locks in the succulent juices. As the aroma of sizzling meatballs fills the kitchen, the anticipation for the deliciousness to come heightens.
Now, the pièce de résistance—the Creamy Sauce. Prepare a luxurious mixture of beef or vegetable broth, heavy cream, and a touch of flour for thickness. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, allowing it to simmer until it reaches a velvety consistency that will envelop the meatballs in richness.
Gently nestle the browned meatballs into the creamy sauce, allowing them to absorb the flavors and become immersed in the lusciousness of the sauce. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened, creating a harmonious union of textures and tastes.
For the Meatballs:
- 2 oz (about 1 cup) fresh crustless bread crumbs*
- 1/4 tsp each nutmeg, allspice, cardamom
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 2/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1/2 medium)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb ground pork
For the Creamy Sauce:
- 3 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. Pour in milk and toss with a fork. Let it rest while sautéing onions.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened and slightly golden brown, about 6 minutes, adding garlic during the last 30 seconds.
- Add beef and pork to the bread crumb mixture along with egg yolks and onion mixture. Gently toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Scoop the mixture out 1 oz at a time and shape into balls. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked through (center should register 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer), about 18 – 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet used to sauté onions, melt the remaining 3 1/2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook and whisk until golden brown, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- While whisking, slowly pour in broth and cream. Add Worcestershire sauce, season with salt, and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. For a thicker consistency, simmer over low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the warm sauce and serve.
Optional: Garnish with minced fresh parsley.
Serve the Swedish Meatballs with Creamy Sauce over a bed of buttered egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or lingonberry sauce for an authentic touch. Garnish with fresh parsley for a burst of color and freshness.
Whether enjoyed as a family dinner or presented at a festive gathering, this Swedish classic promises to transport your taste buds to a realm of savory perfection. Each forkful of tender meatballs bathed in the velvety creaminess of the sauce is a testament to the comforting and satisfying nature of this beloved dish.