Discover the epitome of Italian culinary excellence with our Best Italian Oven Baked Meatballs Recipe – a gastronomic journey that promises a symphony of flavors and the ultimate in savory satisfaction. These meatballs, a perfect fusion of ground beef and pork, paired with aromatic herbs, Parmesan cheese, and a delectable tomato sauce, redefine the art of homemade Italian comfort food.
At the heart of this recipe lies the meticulous balance of ingredients, meticulously combined to create a meatball that is both tender and bursting with flavor. The blend of ground beef and pork provides a rich, multi-dimensional taste, while fresh herbs, garlic, and Parmesan contribute their aromatic notes to elevate the meatballs to culinary perfection. The addition of red pepper flakes introduces a subtle hint of heat for those craving a touch of spice.
The key to the succulence of these meatballs lies in their baking process. The oven transforms them into golden-brown spheres of perfection, with a crisp exterior giving way to a moist and flavorful interior. As they bake, the savory aroma that wafts through the kitchen is an invitation to indulge in the forthcoming feast.
Complementing the meatballs is a luscious tomato sauce, where crushed tomatoes, garlic, and a medley of herbs simmer together to create a rich and robust accompaniment. Fresh basil, added in the final moments, infuses the sauce with a burst of brightness, offering a delightful contrast to the savory depth of the meatballs.
1 pound lean ground beef, I use 88%
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, grated (or minced)
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or dried (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or dried (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or dried (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well, but do not over mix or you will have tough meatballs.
- Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, portion out meat and place on the baking sheet. After all meatballs have been scooped onto the tray, roll into balls and place back onto the baking sheet.
Tip: If you lightly coat your hands with olive oil before rolling the meatballs, they will form better and crack less.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the meatballs are browned and cooked through.
- Remove and transfer to sauce or serve immediately.