Cheesy Rotel Chicken Soup is a delightful fusion of creamy richness and zesty spice, offering a satisfying and flavorful twist on traditional chicken soup. This dish brings together tender chicken, velvety cheese, and the bold kick of Rotel tomatoes and chilies, creating a comforting, hearty soup that’s perfect for warming both the body and soul.
The heart of Cheesy Rotel Chicken Soup lies in its ability to provide a dynamic blend of flavors. The succulent chicken is typically simmered in a creamy, cheesy broth, with the addition of Rotel tomatoes and chilies adding a welcomed punch of heat and depth. The result is a comforting soup that marries the classic appeal of chicken and cheese with a Tex-Mex-inspired twist.
In this culinary journey, we’ll explore the origins and contemporary variations of Cheesy Rotel Chicken Soup, showcasing its adaptability and popularity in diverse kitchens. Whether you’re an experienced cook or someone new to this culinary adventure, we’ll provide insights and tips to ensure your success in preparing this delicious, heartwarming soup in your own kitchen.
Prepare to embark on a flavorful adventure as we dive into the world of Cheesy Rotel Chicken Soup, celebrating the creamy elegance of cheese and the spicy zest of Rotel, all in a single, soul-soothing bowl. Whether you’re seeking warmth on a chilly day or a taste of Tex-Mex-inspired comfort, this soup is sure to deliver the perfect blend of creamy and spicy to satisfy your cravings.
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons EACH garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional thickener: 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon COLD water OR 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
Crock Pot Instructions:
- Add the chicken breast, spices, undrained cans of Rotel, and chicken broth to the slow cooker or Dutch oven. Secure the lid, and if cooking in the slow cooker, set it to low for up to 8 hours or high for up to 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. While the chicken is out of the soup, add the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Whisk vigorously until the cheese has melted and incorporated. Add the chicken back to the soup and stir well.
- At this point you can serve the soup or use the instructions below to thicken the soup if desired.
Dutch Oven Instructions: (preferred method)
- Place your chicken, spices, undrained Rotel, and chicken broth into the Dutch oven. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Add the softened cream cheese and shredded cheese, whisking vigorously until it has melted. Add the chicken back into the pot and stir well.
- At this point, you can serve the soup or use the instructions below to thicken the soup if desired.
- This step is optional; you can thicken the soup by allowing it to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until some of the liquid has evaporated.
- Alternatively, you can use a slurry with a cornstarch and water mixture or xanthan gum to thicken the soup. To do that, add the thickening agent and whisk vigorously. If using xanthan gum, you may add an additional 1/8 teaspoon if you need to thicken further, but add this very sparingly. It can change the texture of your soup quickly.
See instructions above for stovetop and slow cooker method.