White Bean Chicken Chili is a warm and hearty dish that’s perfect for those cold, cozy evenings when you’re looking for something to warm your soul. This chili offers a delightful combination of tender chicken, creamy white beans, and a flavorful broth with a hint of spice. It’s a comforting and satisfying meal that’s easy to prepare, making it a great addition to your regular dinner rotation.
What sets White Bean Chicken Chili apart from the traditional beef chili is the use of tender, shredded chicken and white beans. The chicken adds a lean protein source, while the white beans provide a creamy texture and are packed with fiber and essential nutrients. This chili also includes an array of delicious seasonings and aromatic ingredients, such as garlic, onions, and spices, that create a depth of flavor.
One of the great things about White Bean Chicken Chili is its versatility. You can easily adjust the level of spiciness to suit your taste by adding more or less chili powder or using mild or hot green chilies. You can also customize it with your favorite toppings, like shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, or even a squeeze of fresh lime juice. The possibilities are endless, making it a crowd-pleaser for the whole family.
This dish comes together relatively quickly, and you can even make it in advance, as chili often tastes even better the next day. Whether you’re preparing it for a weeknight dinner, game day, or a casual gathering with friends, White Bean Chicken Chili is sure to be a hit. So, let’s dive into this comforting and satisfying recipe and discover how to make a flavorful, creamy, and slightly spicy White Bean Chicken Chili that will warm your heart and delight your taste buds.
– 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 small yellow onion, finely diced (or 1/2 large onion)
– 2 teaspoons ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 3 cloves garlic, minced (approximately 1 tablespoon)
– 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat (2 to 3 breasts)
– 2 cans (15 ounces each) reduced-sodium cannellini beans or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
– 2 cans (4.5 ounces each) diced green chiles
– 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
– 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
– Diced jalapeño, diced avocado, nonfat sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt
– Shredded cheese
– Tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
1. In a Dutch oven or a similar large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until it begins to soften.
2. Stir in the ground cumin, dried oregano, kosher salt, and minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds, allowing the garlic to become fragrant.
3. Add the chicken, cannellini beans (or Great Northern beans), diced green chiles, and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle, steady simmer.
4. Continue simmering until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, which should take approximately 12 to 14 minutes. If the chicken is not fully submerged in the pot, flip it over halfway through the process. Afterward, carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then, dice or shred it into bite-sized pieces.
5. Use an immersion blender to partially puree the chili, thickening it while leaving some of the beans whole. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer a few ladlefuls of the chili to a food processor or blender, pulse it roughly, and then return it to the pot.
6. Continue simmering for an additional 5 minutes to further thicken the chili. Stir in the diced chicken, chopped cilantro, and freshly squeezed lime juice. Simmer for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
7. To serve, portion the chili into bowls and top it with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Feel free to add any additional toppings you desire, such as diced jalapeño, avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, and tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy your delicious White Bean Chicken Chili!