The Double Chocolate Black Forest Cake is a decadent and irresistible dessert that combines rich chocolate cake layers with layers of cherries and whipped cream, all topped with a glossy chocolate glaze. This classic cake is a favorite for those who love the delightful pairing of chocolate and cherries.
To create this indulgent masterpiece, you’ll need a set of key ingredients. The chocolate cake layers are the foundation of the dessert, and they are made with cocoa powder and dark chocolate for an intense chocolate flavor. The cherries are typically either canned or jarred, and they provide a sweet and tangy contrast to the chocolate. Whipped cream adds a luscious and airy component, while the chocolate glaze crowns the cake with a glossy, chocolaty finish.
The preparation process begins by baking the chocolate cake layers, which are then allowed to cool completely. The cherries are usually pitted and sometimes soaked in a cherry brandy or syrup to enhance their flavor. Next, the whipped cream is prepared, often with a touch of sugar and vanilla extract to sweeten and flavor it. The chocolate cake layers are layered with whipped cream and the soaked cherries, creating a delicious contrast of textures and flavors.
The cake is then assembled, with each layer stacked on top of the other. It’s important to refrigerate the cake for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld together and for the whipped cream to set. Finally, the Double Chocolate Black Forest Cake is finished with a glossy chocolate glaze that’s poured over the top layer. This glaze adds an extra layer of rich chocolate flavor and a beautiful shine to the cake.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soured milk (mix a tablespoon of lemon juice or plain vinegar with a cup of milk)
- 1 cup black coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
The Whipped Chocolate Ganache:
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (slightly warmed first)
- 2 cups whipping cream
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 rounded tbsp icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound ripe fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 cup chopped chocolate for garnish
To Prepare the Chocolate Cake:
- Combine all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into 2 greased and floured (or dusted with cocoa) 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, split the two cake layers into four using a sharp serrated bread knife.
To Prepare the Whipped Ganache:
- Melt together the 3 cups of dark chocolate chips in a double boiler, stirring constantly over a gentle simmer until melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat the mixture; it should be just at the melting point and only lukewarm to the touch. Transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whip the 2 cups of whipping cream to firm peaks.
- Add the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture in four portions, folding gently after each addition, until the whipped cream is completely incorporated into the chocolate.
- If the frosting is too soft to work with, chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes, giving it a quick fold with a rubber spatula every 10 minutes to cool evenly.
Prepare the Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- Whip together all three ingredients until you achieve firm peaks.
Construct The Cake:
- Place the first layer of cake onto the cake plate and cover it with a little of the vanilla whipped cream.
- Add the next layer of cake.
- Spread a thin layer of the whipped chocolate ganache on this layer.
- Place a layer of pitted cherries on top, followed by more whipped ganache to completely cover the cherries.
- Add the next layer of cake, more of the vanilla whipped cream, and the final layer of cake.
- Frost the entire outside of the cake with the remaining whipped ganache frosting.
- Place another layer of pitted cherries on top of the cake.
- Garnish the sides with chopped chocolate and create borders with the vanilla whipped cream.
In conclusion, the Double Chocolate Black Forest Cake is a showstopping dessert that combines the richness of chocolate cake with the sweet and tangy goodness of cherries and the airy delight of whipped cream. The glossy chocolate glaze crowns this dessert, making it a visual and flavorful masterpiece, perfect for special occasions or indulgent moments. Now, let’s explore the step-by-step process to create this double chocolate delight in your own kitchen.