Homemade Italian dressing is a culinary delight that brings the flavors of Italy straight to your kitchen. This versatile and flavorful dressing embodies the essence of Italian cuisine, boasting a harmonious blend of herbs, oils, vinegar, and spices that elevate the taste of any dish it graces. Its simplicity in preparation and its ability to enhance a variety of salads, marinades, or even as a dipping sauce make it a staple in many households.
The fundamental components typically include high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar (often red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar), and a medley of dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and parsley. This amalgamation of flavors provides a perfect balance of tanginess from the vinegar, richness from the oil, and depth from the herbs, complementing a range of dishes from crisp salads to grilled meats or roasted vegetables.
Beyond its delectable taste, homemade Italian dressing offers a healthier alternative to store-bought varieties, allowing you to control the quality and quantity of ingredients. By omitting preservatives, excessive sodium, or added sugars often found in commercial dressings, this homemade version assures a fresher, more wholesome option for your meals.
Whether drizzled over a classic Caprese salad, used as a marinade for meats, or as a zesty dressing for pasta salads, homemade Italian dressing serves as a delightful culinary companion, elevating the flavors of any dish with its tantalizing taste and versatility.
– 1 and ½ cups (360mL) extra virgin olive oil
– ½ cup (120mL) white wine vinegar
– ¼ cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese
– 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
– 1 and ½ teaspoons lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons dried basil
– 2 teaspoons dried oregano
– 2 teaspoons onion powder
– 2 teaspoons (14mL) honey
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium-sized glass container, preferably with a spout, combine the olive oil and white wine vinegar.
2. Add the grated Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, lemon juice, dried basil, dried oregano, onion powder, honey, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper into the container.
3. Stir or shake (if using a lidded container) until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
4. Store the dressing in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 month.
5. Before use, allow the dressing to sit at room temperature for a few minutes or run it under hot water briefly to loosen it. Shake or stir well before using.
This homemade Italian dressing offers a harmonious blend of herbs, cheese, and zesty flavors, perfect for adding a touch of Italy to your salads or marinades. Keep it refrigerated and enjoy its fresh taste for up to a month. Remember to give it a good shake or stir before drizzling it over your favorite dishes.