1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sugar
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup of arequipe or dulce de leche
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Cut the pastry dough into 3 strips along the fold marks. Place on a baking sheet and poke a couple of holes in each dough with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on a rack.
4. In a medium saucepan place the milk and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
5. Gradually add cornstarch mixture to milk and cook, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes or until thickened. Beat the egg yolks and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add the vanilla extract and butter, and remove from heat.
7. Let cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.