Sweet Potato Rounds with Herbed Ricotta and Walnuts presents a vibrant fusion of flavors and textures that tantalize the palate, blending the earthy sweetness of sweet potatoes with the creamy richness of herbed ricotta and the satisfying crunch of walnuts. This dish is a harmonious medley of wholesome ingredients artfully combined to create a delightful appetizer or side dish that celebrates both taste and visual appeal.
At its core, this recipe embraces the humble sweet potato, a versatile root vegetable cherished for its nutritional profile and distinct flavor. Sliced into rounds and roasted to caramelized perfection, these sweet potato rounds serve as the canvas for a delightful symphony of flavors.
Complementing the creamy ricotta are the walnuts, adding a delightful crunch and nutty essence to each bite. Toasted to bring out their full flavor, these nuts provide a satisfying contrast in texture, harmonizing with the softness of the sweet potatoes and the creaminess of the ricotta.
Moreover, this dish offers versatility—perfect as an elegant appetizer for a dinner party, a side dish for a festive meal, or even as a flavorful addition to a casual gathering. Its simplicity in preparation belies the complex and inviting flavors it brings to the table, making it a favorite for both culinary enthusiasts and those seeking wholesome, delicious fare.
– 1 large sweet potato, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
– 1 tablespoon avocado oil
– A pinch of ground cinnamon
– 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
– ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
– 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon honey
– ¼ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
– 1 cup raw walnuts, roasted and chopped
– ¾ cup dried cranberries
1. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the herbed ricotta, stirring well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the sweet potatoes into rounds about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick using a sharp knife.
3. Place the sweet potato slices in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle sea salt and a pinch of ground cinnamon over the rounds. Rub the oil and seasoning onto both sides of the sweet potato rounds. Arrange the rounds on a large baking sheet (or use two sheets if needed). Bake for 20 minutes, then flip the rounds and bake for an additional 17 to 20 minutes, until they’re cooked through and have crispy edges.
4. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and place them in the oven to roast for 8 to 10 minutes, starting when the potato rounds have about 8 to 10 minutes left to cook.
5. Once the sweet potato rounds and walnuts are done, remove them from the oven. Chop the roasted walnuts on a cutting board.
6. Preheat the oven to the high broil setting and position the oven rack second to the top shelf. Place a dollop of herbed ricotta on each sweet potato round and put them in the oven for 2 minutes, just until the ricotta is warm and slightly melted.
7. Assemble the rounds by adding chopped walnuts and dried cranberries. Drizzle with honey and serve this flavorful delight!